Listen on your favorite platform or watch on youtube!
In this episode of the Critical Oxygen podcast, Coach Luke Way, Dr. Andrew Sellers and I discuss the balance point assessment and how to assess the respiratory system. We explain the concept of lactate balance point and how it can be used to determine an athlete's physiological limitations. We also discuss the importance of incorporating technology into the assessment process and the need for a bridge between academic physiology and practical coaching. The conversation highlights the value of identifying and addressing respiratory limitations and the role of biomarkers in building a comprehensive training program. This conversation explores the importance of individualized training zones, the limitations of the 220 minus age formula, the role of intelligent training, the relationship between recovery and training intelligence, the value of step testing in training, integrating step testing into everyday training, the role of technology in training, and implementing weekly step tests for monitoring.
1) The balance point assessment is a valuable tool for determining an athlete's physiological limitations.
2) Incorporating technology, such as lactate testing and respiratory data, can provide more accurate and actionable information for coaches.
3) Addressing respiratory limitations, such as inefficient breathing patterns, can improve overall performance.
4) Step testing can provide valuable insights into an athlete's readiness for training. Integrating step testing into regular training sessions can help monitor progress and make necessary adjustments.
5) Technology can enhance training by providing data and insights, but it must be used in conjunction with knowledge and interpretation.
If you have a question or topic you want us to address, leave a comment!
Follow the Breathe Way System at Isocapnic on instagram - https://www.instagram.com/isocapnic/
Or check out their website - https://isocapnic.com/isocapnic
00:00 Introduction and Background
03:10 The Balance Point Assessment
08:23 Understanding Lactate Levels
13:10 The Evolution of the Balance Point Assessment
18:43 Incorporating Technology into the Assessment
26:09 Addressing Respiratory Limitations
32:32 Differentiating Between Limitations
39:03 The Rift Between Researchers and Coaches
46:01 Building an Argument with Biomarkers
49:29 Understanding Individualized Training Zones
51:22 Limitations of the 220 Minus Age Formula
52:49 The Importance of Intelligent Training
53:45 The Relationship Between Recovery and Training Intelligence
57:57 The Value of Step Testing in Training
01:00:43 Integrating Step Testing into Everyday Training
01:04:30 The Role of Technology in Training
01:05:19 Implementing Weekly Step Tests for Monitoring